Monday, January 24, 2011
BLA Response
My group decided to read Intern: A Doctor's Initiation by Sandeep Jahaur. The documentary that we watched was Doctors' Diaries, NOVA, PBS Video. While viewing the movie and comparing it to the book I noticed some differences with the attitudes of the doctors-to-be. In the book, Sandeep is portrayed as someone who initially didn't want to go into the medical field, but finally did enter it to 'follow' his brother's footsteps, but to also make his family proud. In the Doctors' Diaries, I noticed that the doctors in the movie wanted to be there and wanted to become a doctor. These doctors weren't as nervous as Sandeep. These doctors were excited and enthusiastic about learning. I think that they fit Sandeep's description of most medical students. Also I've learned that although doctors are nervous behind the veil of no panic. Sandeep doesn't want to mess up in anything and blames himself for any little thing he does wrong or doesn't catch. In the movie, one of the seven students stated, "And then they are going to ask us to come for help, and all I'll be feeling is ahhhh!" This supports the fact that doctors are and will be nervous for their patients. Another idea portrayed in both the book and movie is that free time will be cut back if you go into the medical field. The difference between the movie and the book was that in the book Sandeep got married, while in the movie neither of the interns were able to keep a relationship. Also at the end of the book and movie, all 8 now doctors stated that they had no regrets joining the medical field. They all were proud of what they accomplished and will try to provide their knowledge to help other students make decisions on their future.

0 comments:
Post a Comment