ADS 468x60

Friday, October 15, 2010

"If it's called the USA Today, why is all the news from yesterday? BAM. Busted!" ~Stephen Colbert

To tell you the truth, I really didn't understand the first part of the movie.  It just went way too fast for me to comprehend what Noam Chomsky was saying.  Sure I'd pick up a fact here or there, like the main underlying fact was how the media was 'censoring' what they showed us.  When they asked the question in the movie: "How do they get the new?", I started to think.  I never really thought about how and where they got the new from before.  From that point in the movie it started to get interesting, especially when they showed the two very different tours of the newspaper companies, The New York Times and the small paper from Media.  I found it so amusing that The New York Times showed about two clips before saying that is all we could see.  They were so secretive! Why should they have to be secretive? We will learn about things sooner or later! Then we saw the small paper in Media and they were completely welcoming and glad that the movie people were interviewing them for their movie.

When they showed the clips from the war and genocide in East Timor I was just shocked! How could the media let this be silent! It wasn't right! We SHOULD HAVE been informed and we SHOULD HAVE known what was happening! They had NO RIGHT to cover this up from people.  After all, we do live in a free nation, correct? I found this quote from a website: Were the atrocities that took place in East Timor in September-October 1999 on a "genocidal" scale? The consensus position of internatonal commentators has been "no" -- that in fact, the deaths amounted to no more than a few hundred people, perhaps only "dozens," as an Associated Press report claimed in mid-2000. http://www.gendercide.org/case_timor.html
Only dozens?!?! MORE THAN 102,000 DEATHS HAVE BEEN REPORTED! Out of that there are STILL people missingdisappeared, and the deaths that we don't know about.  The Associated Press was lying, and why you ask? It was because the UN was too late in acting against these acts, so they didn't want what was happening in East Timor to be considered a 'big deal'.  What goes around in the heads of media people? No one will know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment